finished watching Damsel
Bit of a dull start, but that was entirely expected. Once it got going it was pretty good. Quite enjoyed it.
Johnny - Posts
finished reading Bloody Rose
A fantastic read. Guess I should read the first book now. Fortunately they can be read out of order without missing anything.
finished watching Africa Screams
Not much to say about this. Came across it while looking through old black-and-white movies on Archive.org. Was mildly amused.
finished watching The Incredible Hulk and She-Hulk
I think I missed something between seasons. Grey Hulk just sort of... appears?
Anyway, that was pretty good. For a 90s show. I appreciate how the second season brought in more Marvel heroes.
finished watching Chainsmoker Cat
A show staring a cast of catgirls that manages to make all of them unappealing. Catgirls have gotten a free ride for too long; it's about time someone put them in their place.
Frequently disgusting. Had fun watching it.
finished reading Bookshops & Bonedust
Another amazing story. Took a little longer to hook me than the first one, but just a little. And now I'm sad that the store I found these in didn't have the third book, because I need more stories like these.
finished reading Legends & Lattes
That was fantastic. Warm and cozy, with just enough action to remind you this is a fantasy story. I appreciate how it manages to incorporate modern-world ideas without making them feel so out-of-place. A new favourite book.
finished watching THE GHOST IN THE SHELL
The animation was fantastic. So much anime lately has gotten pretty bland as far as art goes; just the bare minimum to get a book to the screen. But this was done with care.
finished watching The Adventures of Sam & Max: Freelance Police
If you must watch a cop show, let it be these bastards.
finished playing Mario Is Missing!
Uncommon opinion: This game is OK. The physics aren't *quite* there, but it plays well enough, and is extremely chill. Just a peaceful, stress-free way to pass time. The variations on Super Mario World music are pretty cool.
Not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, but not terrible either. Not something I'd generally recommend, but also not something that'd I'd put on a "worst games ever" list. At least not the SNES version. I've never played the others, so I can't speak to those.
100% completed on Retro Achievements.
finished playing Super Adventure Island II
I hate fake floors so much.
Bit of a departure from the usual Adventure Island style of run right while collecting fruit to not die: this game is an exploration platformer. Fairly linear, but with a bit of backtracking to find optional power-ups that will make later stages easier. Not a terribly difficult game, but can be a bit tough at the beginning while you're at your weakest. Or at least that's where I died the most. And somehow I found the second boss to be the hardest one.
Random battles on the overworld map got old fast, but otherwise pretty fun. 100% completed on Retro Achievements.
finished watching The Concierge
Cute. Didn't find it particularly interesting, but it was all right.
finished watching Re:Monster
Invincible guy becomes increasingly invincible in his quest to become even more invincible.
It's... fine. I read some of the manga because the concept seemed interesting, but it didn't really hold me in the long term. The anime does an OK job of it, but it's pretty plain, not much detail in anything. It still looks all right, just the bare minimum to look as its supposed to. And the manga can already be a bit tough to follow at times with how rapidly the story progresses, so having things condensed even further for the anime doesn't really help.
Not a bad show, but I wouldn't suggest going out of one's way to watch it.
finished watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Well that was goofy. Why'd it take me so long to get around to watching it?
finished watching Perfect Blue
...What the fuck?
I confess, I was kinda bored at the beginning of this. Thought maybe it wasn't for me. Then the story picked up, and things got so weird I couldn't *not* see it through. Quite the ride.
finished watching Varan
"A giant invincible monster which could ravage our entire country and kill us all has been lying dormant at the bottom of this lake for millions of years. Let's irritate it by dumping a bunch of chemicals in there!" Didn't really think that one through eh?
Really good dioramas in this one. Though considering how much screen-time Varan got, there wasn't really all that much destruction. Needs a few less shots of rockets firing, a few more of buildings falling.